We are pleased to announce that this July 15-16 at Birkbeck, University of London, Dr. Katherine Harvey, Professor John Henderson, and Dr. Carmen Mangion will convene a conference entitled ‘Religion and Medicine’, addressing the following themes :
Healing the Body and Healing the Soul
- Medical traditions: the non-natural environment and the ‘Passions of the Soul’.
- Religious traditions (for example, the Church Fathers, sermons and devotional literature).
The Religious and Medicine
- Medical knowledge and practice of religious personnel, including secular and regular clergy.
- Nurses and nursing.
- Medical practitioners, religious authorities and the regulation of medical activity and practice.
- Religious responses to epidemics, from leprosy to plague to pox and cholera.
- Medical missions in Europe and the wider world.
- Religion, humanitarianism and medical care.
Healing Environments and Religion
- Religious healing/ miracles/ pilgrimage.
- Institutional medical care (including hospitals, dispensaries and convalescent homes).
Visit the conference website to find out more!